News: deep face wrinkles may start abruptly ~ age 33 | BareFacedTruth.com

News: deep face wrinkles may start abruptly ~ age 33

Doctors often hear “I went sleep one night, and woke up the next morning with wrinkles.” While overnight may be exaggerating a tad, it turns out that facial wrinkling may be more abrupt in onset than common sense might suggest. Something critical seems to happen with the response to mechanical forces (e.g. facial muscle movement, gravity, etc) at the junction of skin layers during the first part of the fourth decade of life. According to a study just published (see abstract below) the forces that previously might result in fine lines would instead induce deep furrows. And at a still tender age.

—————–

Skin wrinkling morphology changes suddenly in the early 30s.
Skin Res Technol. 2012 Jan 11.
Kuwazuru O, Miyamoto K, Yoshikawa N, Imayama S.
University of Fukui, Fukui, Japan.

Abstract

Does the morphology of wrinkles alter gradually with aging or suddenly at a certain age? On the basis of the theoretic wrinkle simulation of ideal skin, we have suggested that the wrinkle morphology suddenly changes from stratum corneum wrinkling to epidermis wrinkling; the former induces shallow fine furrows, and the latter induces deep prominent wrinkles. To examine the existence of drastic change in wrinkling morphology, we developed a new measurement system for facial skin wrinkling test.

The mechanical compression test of facial skin was carried out for 102 Japanese women aged 25-56 years. The test was performed on the right temple area skin, and the area of wrinkles induced by the compression was measured using a digital video camera. The rate of increase in wrinkle area during compression was defined as the skin wrinkling rate, and it was calculated for all subjects automatically by image processing.

The test results showed that the skin wrinkling rate underwent a step increase at the age 33, which means that the wrinkling morphologies of young and old skins are completely different, and so it changes suddenly in the early 30s.A new skin measurement system was developed to validate our theory of wrinkle formation mechanism with aging. The results demonstrated the wrinkling morphology changes suddenly at early 30s.

——————-

There are also some other lines of evidence pointing to the early 30’s as a critical time in the continuum of skin aging, relating back to stem cell biology and cytokine signalling systems. We will explore some of those in upcoming posts.

We are planning to expand our content here at BFT, and in particular want to share with you some of the latest information about skin aging. An in depth understanding of the dynamics of aging skin leads to a much clearer perspective in terms of determining approaches to prevention and rejuvenation strategies. There are many ways to look at aging — from the macro (organ/tissue level) to the micro (cells and extracellular components) to the nano & pico (subcellular, molecular).

25 Comments

1. smithers says:

Thanks for validating what I already knew. I woke up one morning with wrinkles, and they have never gone away. I was 35 then, not too far from your age average. I wasted years thinking I had some strange skin disease, and consulted doctors about it. They all thought I was crazy.

2. Ada says:

I am 22 years old and am already experiencing a rapid decline in my skin’s elasticity. I use an organic moisturizer, Retin A 0.025 and salicylic acid for blackheads. The area around my eyes already had dryness and premature wrinking, and I have hard creases; one on my forehead, two at the sides of my mouth and one where I get my single dimple. Other women around my age (who don’t use sunscreen as frequently as I do) are doing FINE! I am Fitzpatrick IV so I’m fairly certain that it’s not sun damage. What is causing my rapid decline?

• drjohn says:

Hard to know from your history alone, Ada. How about other women in your family? There is always that genetic component to consider. If it truly is elasticity, then watch out for elastases in the products you are using. Consider soy isoflavones as a well established way to increase elastin production.

3. Erg says:

Regarding the recommendation to use soy: topically, orally or both?
    thanks!

• drjohn says:

We have examined the benefits of topical soy (isoflavones) as an anti-aging strategy for skin, but taken orally soy (including other parts of the extract) has a number of benefits to offer.

4. crimsonyuri says:

I am 52 and just over the past several months have noticed a rapid decline in the elasticity of my skin, larger pores and a “meanie line” between my eyes. I’ve taken good care of my skin since I was 12-13 yrs old and am genetically blessed with good skin but this appeared out of nowhere!

I expected the aging of my skin to begin soon and assumed it would be a gradual process but having it happen so quickly had me worried. I blamed it on having Lymphoma (which may still be partly to cause) but now I know that this happens to other people too. Thanks for the article!

• drjohn says:

You are most welcome. Reminder -you don’t have to regard these changes as “inevitable”…. there are therapeutics you can use to slow (and even reverse) the skin aging process.

• Kath says:

Please…you can’t just tell a female looking online for months on end for honest, scientific, not stock-driven, unfraudulent , not wanting to keep experimenting-but-buyer of skads of different facial products, scammed by TIA (truthinaging.com) non-return policies and safe but effective skin care information that these “changes” are inevitable, then proceed to state cryptically “there are therapeutics that not only SLOW (and on top of that , miraculously, (I would think) , REVERSE the skin aging process and leave that female hanging. What do you mean specifically?; Are you talking products? Are you talking re: facial topicals? facial exercises? surgery? Care to share?

• drjohn says:

Hi Kath. We don’t have any “miracles” in our pockets quite yet., and I would be very suspicious of anyone saying they do. We don’t talk much about products per se here, but about ingredients and technologies. We don’t test products (other than our own, of course). Sometimes products come onto our radar screen as good (e.g. Lifeline) or egregious (e.g. Ageless Secret) examples, so we talk about them. We go on the science, examine it closely, see if it makes sense physiologically, and what evidence exists for efficacy (and safety). We need to put up a table of such ingredients soon (working on it). It will include such things as certain peptides (not all), kinetin, Vit A (retinoids), Vit C, Vit D, Vit E, niacinamide, panthenone, ubuiquinone, isoflavones, a host of botanical antioxidants, and others. We work with cytokines, so of course we confess bias as we tell you about that technology. We do talk about lasers, lights, procedures, fillers, and the like as well, but in a different context. We focus more on anti-aging topicals, trying on the one hand to look to the innovative present and future, and on the other hand warn you about the mass deception out there that fills the vacuum. I invite you take a peek around. We also participate in some online forums where these things are regularly debated in depth (e.g. http://www.essentialdayspa.com).

5. ToldYouSo says:

Interesting article… makes it seem even more imperative to practice good skin care habits at as young an age as possible.

• drjohn says:

Hi jom. Active ingredient is “human fibroblast conditioned medium” Basically fibroblasts grown in culture medium, as they expand their numbers in culture they secret cytokines (incl growth factors). So, what’s not to like about that? Nothing really, except that it is sooooo 2002. I believe that is the year (a decade ago) that SkinMedica releases their flagship TNS, which is the same exact stuff. Except that in the Skinmedica product it is 94% protein, while in AQ it is only 42%. What’s in it besides cytokines? Matrix proteins (procollagens & collagens, the stuff that fibroblasts make in your body). Is that good ? – well, little of that gets absorbed, because most of the molecules are too large. Collagen fragments can either speed up or slow down fibroblast function, so hard to be sure). But the cytokines are good, right? Yes, if they are being absorbed (neither of these products uses liposomes or nanosomes). Are the cytokine patterns as good as cytokines form stem cells? No way. Even stem cells from fat have a much better ability to concentrate cytokines. Mesenchymal stem cells are highly specialized mobile drug stores with just the right cytokines at just the right time. So, why doesn’t SkinMedica switch to stem cells? Because they have been very successful selling TNS. Why mess with a good thing? Current customer base might be put off. (And who knows – they might be working on it right now ). We have a lot of respect for SkinMedica – classy company, good science, no nonsense. AQ is doing a “me too”, which is OK. But at $250/oz for their more concentrated product, I would probably stick with Skinmedica if I really wanted human fibroblast conditioned medium.

6. jom says:

Thanks, I hope you don’t mind but I have another skin care line that I’m curious about. If you’re tired of critiquing thinkgs for me just let me know, I completely understand. There’s information about the line, Le Metier de Beaute, here that is better than the information on their website.

Their main active ingredient is retinol but they claim the unique feature of their line is the delivery system. They call it Syntoc Actif. LMdB’s exclusive and patented Syntoc Actif Delivery System, which carries the ingredients through the dermis, is the most effective delivery system available without a prescription today. Because the ingredients are delivered 24 times deeper into the skin through this unique delivery system, the products are safer and more effective than “comparable products on the market today.”

The delivery system was supposedly developed by an Australian biotech guy and he called it total penetration matrix. I have done internet searches but I have not been able to find out anything about it.

Do you think there is anything to this or is it just marketing?

I am most interested in what you think of the Replenishing Daily Solution.

• drjohn says:

Bunk. Easy to spot because the marketing people (or scientists, or both) are clueless about dermatology. Start with this stupidity: “the most scientifically advanced and efficacious technology delivering the most innovative anti-aging moisturizing and hydrating ingredients 24 times deeper into the skin.” What’s wrong with this statement? You don’t want moisturizers and hydrating agents penetrating 24x deeper into the skin (which puts them where?). All symptomatic issues (dry skin, pruritis, etc) occurs in the stratum corneum. You can have really dry stratum corneum and totally hydrated skin just beneath. In fact. senile xerosis is just that. <20% water in SC, meanwhile 70% water in epidermis below the SC. Every textbook says the same thing. It's the surface SC, stupid. Not 24 layers later (there are not even 24 layers in the skin). Obviously the people at this company have never read a textbook. All issues of moisturizing are about the the SC. So, pushing your moisturizers 24x deeper is total whack. Maybe they just can’t count. Here's another clue: "the products are safer and more effective than comparable products on the market today." Again, the opposite is true. The deeper a substance penetrates the more likely it is to reach dermal capillaries and be absorbed systemically. How does this make it safer? Right – it doesn't and never will. If it can’t be held in the SC how does that make it more effective? Le Metier de Beaute is operating a scam.

7. jom says:

Thanks for your bluntness! I didn’t think I wanted ingredients 24 times deeper into my skin (deeper than what?)

8. Aria says:

Wouldn’t just eating really healthfully and avoiding direct sunlight help more.. instead of putting all these chemicals on your skin.

• drjohn says:

It helps, but only to a certain extent, unfortunately. That’s why the world of aesthetic medicine exists – research, clinical practice, devices, and cosmeceuticals.

9. Katie says:

I turned 34 in December of 2015 and have been breastfeeding my first child since late April 2015. I’ve developed many, many wrinkles since giving birth–I feel like I’ve aged 10 years in the last 10 months. I’ve been told that you gain wrinkles while breastfeeding because low estrogen levels cause a decrease in collagen production. Is this true, and, if so, will any of my wrinkles go away once I stop breastfeeding?

• drjohn says:

Katie: Perhaps it is merely that you became pregnant and passed the 33 year old mark within a year of one another. In a twin study published in a plastic surgery journal Determinants of breast appearance and aging in identical twins the conclusion was that women who breastfed had less attractive areolar size and shape but better skin quality than their identical twin sisters who never breastfed. So it can’t be that. In fact that finding suggests you should breastfeed as long as you can. The lower estrogen after pregnancy really is more a return to normal (high levels during pregnancy) than actually low levels. At least compared to menopause. It needs to be lower to allow lactation to proceed. Which is why you don’t normally lactate during pregnancy. Prolactin and estrogen are on a teeter totter. What you should do is maintain a healthy diet, avoid smoking and all that bad stuff, use moisturizers daily and sunscreens religiously. Once you are done breastfeeding is not too early to start preventive strategies using biochemical approaches such as retinoids, antioxidants, and growth factors.

10. sky says:

I am 34 and have no wrinkles or lines
    when I have a blank face

When I smile I do get lines around my eyes

I use NO skincare products
    I do not smoke and never have
    I do not use drugs including pot, and never have
    I don’t drink regularly either
    I avoid the sun as much as I can

11. Cal says:

Hi!
    What is your opinion on facial exercise such as Facial Magic or FaceTime, etc? These are suppose to lift the Facial muscles and tighten the skin. I am 42 and have developed a large discoloured wrinkle near my mouth. I hate it. Any suggestions to lesson it?
    Thanks!

• drjohn says:

Cal, facial exercises for wrinkles has been studied, but no conclusive data. If there is an effect it seems too weak to detect. If a wrinkle is dyspigmented, it likely is related to inflammation. I would go for some anti-inflammatory topicals and maybe try microneedling. If that doesn’t work, probably RF (e.g. Venus Viva) or laser.

12. Maria Costa says:

Hello,

I have been on the combined pill for twelve years. Now, at age 34, I have come off. I’ve noticed in the last four months since coming off, my skin seems slightly thinner and I have a faint line developing between my eyes, as well as a shallow indentation forming there. I don’t have any other wrinkles. When I smile, I have under eye creases, but they’ve been there forever!

I’m wondering, did the excess oestrogen from the pill deplete and left me with the face I always had or have I aged overnight due to my age? I’ve always been told I look young for my age and I feel as if I’ve been ‘spoilt’ with this. I only ever seem to age hormonally, when I come off the pill. I am a religious sunscreen wearer and use rosehip oil and variations of vitamin A and C.

Thank you.

• drjohn says:

Maria, it is true that coming off the pill may mean hormonal fluctuations affecting skin, including dermal thickness. And yes, normal aging changes may be more obvious in the aftermath. But rather than returning to the pill, we would recommend using matrix stimulating products (stem cell growth factor being the top of the pyramid to replicate what the estrogens do. If you want a more direct mimic, use a product with isoflavones (best studied is soy isoflavones) which have estrogen like effects on skin. But because they are topical they will not have the potential side effects of systemic sex steroids, i.e. the pill.